“Lori is a natural and gifted speaker. Her passion for the church, and for nurturing generosity within it, is truly inspiring and much needed in the church today.” GTA church treasurer
Congregations can get so caught up in day-to-day finances that they can’t see the forest for the trees. A generosity assessment will help! Have you ever wondered:
- How does giving at our church compare to other congregations? Are we ‘normal’?
- What types of people are steady givers?
- What types of people are seasonal givers?
- Are we cultivating younger givers to become mature givers?
- How can our congregation become more intentional and effective in nurturing generosity?
I combine a passion for fundraising as ministry with years of charity and church experience. Yes, both a number-cruncher and a theologian! Inside your congregation’s stewardship numbers, there is a story waiting to be told. Let my theological insights and donor research experience benefit your congregation.
Fundraising is more than a means to an end: giving can and should be a joyful and community-building spiritual practice. A deep theological understanding of giving informs my approach. How can churches model the grateful behaviour they seek to promote? Here are three examples of how I can help a congregation nurture stewardship:
Talking to small groups of church members, possibly including a written survey. Far from being intimidating, nearly every group discussion includes comments on my salsa recipe! I have done donor research on a large scale with Mennonite Foundation of Canada which gives me a benchmark to compare results.
Helping a congregation cultivate generosity.
- listen to understand the situation beyond the numbers.
- analyze existing giving data to identify core donors and trends in
- present what I have heard from the congregation in creative and accessible ways.
A budget is a powerful statement of congregational priorities. I can work with your congregation on narrative budgeting in order to make your budget an expression of your mission. Narrative budgeting fits well with a visioning process. I have done this at my home congregation.